Short-term Parking in Vienna
In Vienna, as in many other European cities, there are short-term parking zones. This means that motor vehicles may only be parked in these zones for a restricted period of time, and vehicle holders are required to pay a parking fee. Short-term parking may apply to individual streets or entire areas.
Parking space management has turned entire districts or large connected parts thereof into short-term parking zones. Area-wide short-term parking areas can be found in districts 1 to 12, 14 to and 20. Please note that the area around Stadthalle in the 15th district is subject to special parking regulations as outlined below. Note that there are no traffic signs within the area to indicate that you are in an area-wide short-term parking zone!
Short-term parking hours
- In districts 1 to 9 and 20 short-term parking applies on weekdays from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 10 pm. You are allowed to park in these short-term parking zones without a parking sticker (Parkpickerl) for 2 hours at the longest.
- In districts 10 to 12 and 14 to 19 short-term parking restrictions apply Monday to Friday on workdays from 9 am to 7 pm. You are allowed to park in these short-term parking zones without a parking sticker (Parkpickerl) for 3 hours at the longest.
- In the short-term parking zone around Stadthalle (part of the 15th district) short-term parking times are from 9 am to 10 pm on workdays and from 6 pm to 10 pm on weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) and public holidays.
Exceptions for main streets and shopping streets
There are separate short-term parking hours for main streets and shopping streets in districts with area-wide short-term parking. They are indicated on the traffic signs for short-term parking. Some of the shopping streets have a maximum parking duration of 1.5 hours.
Car owners with a valid parking sticker do not have to fill in additional parking vouchers for main streets and shopping streets in their district. They must, however, display a properly set parking disc and not outstay the maximum parking duration indicated on traffic signs.
Permanent parking permit for residents (Parkpickerl)
In general, everyone who has their primary residence in one of the districts covered by area-wide short-term parking zones, and whose vehicle is registered there, can apply for a permanent parking permit for residents (parking sticker) for their respective district. It is charged with a fee and allows you to park your vehicle near your place of residence without time restrictions. You can order a parking sticker online or directly from the municipal district office.
Parking management zones in the city map
- Prepaid parking voucher (Parkschein)
- Pay your parking fees with your mobile phone (German)
- Permanent Parking Permit (Parkpickerl) for Residents
- Parking Voucher for Employees and Companies ("Parkchip")
- Parking Fee - Application for Flat-rate Payment
Parking fee offencesIf you still get a parking ticket, Municipal Department 67 - Supervision of on-street parking (MA 67) will assist you with any questions you may have.
Short-term parking zones on individual streets are marked by traffic signs at the beginning, and the end of each zone. Note that there are no additional traffic signs within each zone to indicate that you are in a short-term parking zone!
Short-term parking zones are chargeable and are marked by the following traffic signs:
Beginning: blue circle with red rim
End: black circle with grey rim
White additional signs indicate:
- Maximum admissible parking duration (for example: two hours)
- Times of short-term parking validity (for example: Monday to Friday, weekdays, 9 am to 10 pm)
There may be additional blue markings to indicate short-term parking zones, these are for your orientation only.