Travel insurance

European Health Insurance Card

The reverse of the Austrian e-card shows the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

While it is generally recommended that you take out travel insurance prior to any trip abroad you may still avail yourself of the Austrian health system without travel insurance should you fall sick during your travels through Austria. EU citizens must fill in form sheet E 111 to make use of medical services in Austria.

Social insurance agreements have been signed with the following countries: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway, Sweden, Serbia, Slovenia and Turkey. Nationals of these countries may have a care/treatment voucher issued with their health insurance which is then exchanged for a health insurance certificate (Krankenschein) at a regional health fund in Austria.

For persons insured in Austria, the e-card makes travelling abroad easier. The reverse of the e-card shows the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC substitutes the international health insurance voucher (form E 111) for the claim of medical treatment during temporary visits (for example holiday) in member states of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland.

Further information

Contact for this page: Edition
Contact form