Mandatory residence registration (Meldepflicht)

Meldezettel - residence registration

Once you have arrived in Vienna you have to register with the local authorities within the first three days upon arrival. Also, if you switch flats during your stay, you have to de-register from your old flat and register again at your new one.

To carry out the residence registration you have to visit one of the 19 Residence Registration Service Centres (Meldeservice) (German) or the Central Residence Registration Service (Meldeservice - Zentrale Meldeauskunft der MA 62) (German) in person.

Which documents do I have to present to the registration officer?

  • A completed residence registration form (Meldezettel): 1.5 MB PDF (German). You can either print the form at home or request a copy directly at one of the Residence Registration Service Centres. However, it is important that the residence registration form is signed by you, as well as by your landlord or landlady. If you are living in a shared flat, also the flatmate who is named as the main tenant can sign the residence registration form instead of the property owner. If you are the property owner, your own signature is sufficient.
  • Personal identification documents that verify all your identity data (first and last name, last name before your first marriage, date of birth, place of birth, sex, and citizenship). Those could be, for example, your driving licence, certificate of citizenship, passport, birth certificate, etc. If you are not an Austrian citizen, you have to present a valid travel document (e.g. passport).

Do I have to pay a fee?

The residence registration procedure is free of charge. Once the registration process is completed, you will receive a residence registration certificate (Meldebestätigung) for your own records. If you need further certificates, for your employer, for example, you will be charged a fee for each copy:

  • an application fee of EUR 14.30 (not in case of an oral application)
  • an extra fee of EUR 14.30 if the certificate is NOT addressed to a particular person or authority (except the applicant him/herself)
  • and a federal administrative charge of EUR 3


Meldeservice (Residence Registration Service Centres)

Most of the 19 Residence Registration Service Centres (German) are located in the respective Municipal District Offices (Magistratische Bezirksämter). You can check the expected waiting time at the counter (German) of each Residence Registration Service Centre online before going there.

Office hours:

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, 8 am to 1 pm, but you can also make an appointment in the afternoon by phone, e-mail or online (German).
  • Thursday, 8 am to 5.30 pm.
  • Good Friday, Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Eve, 8 am to 11.30 am. Closed on public holidays.

Meldeservice - Zentrale Meldeauskunft der MA 62 (Central Residence Registration Service)

Contact for this page: Edition
Contact form