- Location: 1030 Vienna, Schweizergarten
Public transport information
- Size: approximately 165,000 square metres
- Contact: +43 1 4000-8042
Description of the Park
The Maria Josefa Park was built in 1903/1904 near the Southern Railroad Station, between the newly constructed Armoury and the old Belvedere Palace. It covers 11.4 hectares and has been redesigned on several occasions; today a road runs through it. In days gone by, this was a railway stockyard, today the park appeals to visitors because of its surprising differences in altitude. To this day, remnants can be seen of the wall that was demolished to expand the city's districts and ring-road. In keeping with the fashion of the day, the park is laid out as a landscaped English garden, with streams, ponds, a rose garden, a restaurant and a municipal outdoor pool for children.
After the end of the First World War, Maria Josefa Park was renamed Schweizergarten. In addition to the other works of art distributed throughout the park, an installation by the famous Scottish artist Ian Hamilton Finlay is located near the 20er Haus, the former Museum of Modern Art.
Chopin Monument "La Note Bleue"
In commemoration of the 200th Birthday of the composer Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin (1810-1849) a monument was erected in the Schweizergarten. The monument, created by the polish sculptor Krzysztof Bednarski, is the first Chopin-sculpture in Austria. "La note bleue" were the words used to describe the unique "blue note" - a synonym of genius and the mystery of creative inspiration – which is to be found in Chopin’s music.
The design of the sculpture is based on the tradition of profile portraits or silhouettes, which were fashionable in the Romantic period. The composer’s characteristic profile is easily recognizable , simple and symbolic. The Sculpture also reminds us of Chopin´s stay in Vienna between 1829 and 1831. During this time the composer lived at Kohlmarkt 9.
This piece of art is a present of the Polish Republic to the City of Vienna and was uncloaked on the 25. November 2010. The initiator of the Monument was the International Chopin Association in Vienna.
Parks and Gardens (Municipal Department 42)