- Location: 1180 Vienna, Pötzleinsdorfer Schloßpark
public transport information
- Size: approximately 354,000 square metres
- Contact: +43 1 4000-8042
Description of the Park
Pötzleinsdorf Palace Park in Vienna's 18th district is one of the most beautiful gardens in Vienna. Countess Philippina von Herberstein had her gardener Seyfried plant the original gardens on the slopes of the Vienna Woods in 1767. Johann Heinrich Freiherr von Geymüller bought the gardens in 1797.
Generally, the idea of redesigning the gardens as an English country garden originated from the sentimental, romantic topographies all around Vienna at the time. Designers of the garden were Konrad Rosenthal, head gardener to the imperial family, and Franz Illner, who later became a palace gardener. They created grassland areas with groups of trees, streams, vistas of the palace and clearings with romantic buildings scattered throughout the woods. In April and May when the azaleas and rhododendrons are in bloom along the edge of the woods, this park is one that visitors will remember for years to come.
The park's attractions include the giant sequoias (Sequoiadendron giganteum) lining the avenue that used to be the main entrance to the palace. Today part of the park is used for playgrounds and sunbathing areas, but most of it is still a delightful landscape garden for romantic walks.
Parks and Gardens (Municipal Department 42)