Immigration, Citizenship, and Register Offices

Immigration and Citizenship

If you want to take up residence in Vienna, you need to contact Municipal Department 35 - Immigration and Citizenship (MA 35) regarding all questions about residence and citizenship.


a sample for a residence permit

There are a number of different residence permits depending on the applicant’s country of origin, planned duration of stay, and whether or not the applicant is related to an Austrian citizen.


MA 35 is the first contact point in Vienna for all questions regarding citizenship. The department provides you with information about the requirements to obtain Austrian citizenship and issues certificates of citizenship.

Register offices Vienna

From issuing a birth certificate, getting married, to issuing death certificates: Municipal Department 26 - Data Protection, Information Law and Register Offices (MA 26) provides its services to you throughout your life.

Please note: There will be longer processing and waiting times at the register office until further notice due to a nationwide system conversion. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Civil partnership

two holding hands men

A civil partnership gives same-sex couples more rights. In Vienna, there are several places where you can register a civil partnership.

Getting married

In Vienna, you can get married in one of the register offices or at a number of beautiful locations around the city. Some paperwork is required before and after the wedding.

Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form