Licence for the operation of a children’s daycare centre - application
A licence from the Vienna Youth and Family Offices (MAG ELF) is required for the operation of a children’s daycare centre.
Any natural or legal person who meets the requirements may establish a children’s daycare centre.
Factors that are particularly relevant for the granting of a licence are the education concept, the required trained staff, observing the maximum group sizes for the different types of groups, the location, size, number and furnishings of the rooms used, and the number and type of sanitary facilities for the different groups.
Vienna Youth and Family Offices (MA 11) (German)
Legal Affairs Group, Section for Registered Childminders and Parent-organised Daycare Centres
1030 Vienna, Rüdengasse 11
Phone: +43 1 +43 1 4000-90739
Fax: +43 1 4000-99-90739
Information by phone: 8 am to 3.30 pm
Special info events on operating a children’s daycare facility (German) (one-stop shop)
Information events are held every second Wednesday in January, April, July and October.
- We recommend arranging a comprehensive info meeting and an inspection of the premises before submitting an application.
- Submit your application with all documents required
- A hearing of the parties ("mündliche Verhandlung") is held
- The license is granted by administrative decision ("Bescheid")
Recommended procedure for operating a children’s daycare centre (German)
The following information is required in the application for a licence to operate a children’s daycare centre:
- Details on the location and size of the daycare centre
- Documents relating to the ownership or other legal status regarding the property. In the case of a lease, a copy of the lease contract must be attached that shows that the property has been leased for long-term use
- Details on the name of the daycare centre, the number of groups and the number of children in the individual groups
- Details and plans showing the location, size and furnishings of the premises and their designation for the purpose of running a daycare centre
- Information and plans showing the outdoor play areas of the daycare centre
- Information about the personal and professional suitability of the staff
- An education concept
- Certificate of inspection of all combustion systems (e.g. heaters, furnaces), chimneys, and electrical systems
Further documents required (German) in the course of the application process
The fees will be calculated and charged after the final inspection of the children’s daycare centre.
Please allow for a processing period of up to six months.
- Online application: Licence for the operation of a children's daycare centre (German)
- Letter of proxy (appointing an authorised representative): 21 KB PDF (German)
In-depth information (in German) can be found here
- Children’s daycare centres
- Play areas and list of play materials (toys etc.) : 22 KB PDF
- Subsidy and promotion requirements of Municipal Department 10
- Fire safety standards for education facilities
Education plans (in German):
- Overall education framework plan for all federal provinces of Austria
- Vienna Education Plan: 2.5 MB PDF
- Module for the final year in elementary (pre-school) education facilities
Advanced training (in German):
- Information and registration: 277 KB PDF
Legal basis (in German):
Homepage: Vienna Youth and Family Offices (MA 11)
Service point (Vienna Youth Welfare Department - Municipal Department 11)