Life Sciences in Vienna
Vienna is the centre for life sciences in Austria and is becoming one of Europe’s most important locations for research in this field. Life sciences is a term that encompasses various subjects related to our lives. These include research in biotechnology, medical technologies, as well as genetic, ecological and agricultural research. Universities are important centres for teaching, but researchers from numerous other departments and institutes also carry out cutting edge research in the field of life sciences. Through co-operations with Vienna’s private sector, the findings often produce innovative technologies and products.
The city of Vienna supports Life Sciences through a variety of funding measures and awards. The Vienna Business Agency has launched initiatives to facilitate and encourage the transfer of successful basic research into practical medical implementation.
LISAvienna is the joint life science platform operated by Austria wirtschaftsservice and the Vienna Business Agency. On behalf of the Austria Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economics and the City of Vienna, it contributes to the advancement of life sciences in Vienna.
- Facts & Figures
- Life Sciences Facilities
- Life Sciences Research and Education at Universities
- University External Research
- Corporate Research
In 2012, the Life Science Cluster Vienna counted more that 588 companies of which 378 were biotech/pharma and medtech companies that were producing or developing products and processes in these fields. These enterprises employed more than 21,000 people and generated more than EUR 9 billion in sales in 2012.
- "Life Science Report Vienna 2013/14": 7,8 MB PDF
In Vienna, multifunctional research infrastructure can be found at numerous locations. These centres strengthen networks between institutes and business, facilitate the dissemination of knowledge and promote closer cooperative work.
- Campus Vienna Biocenter
- In the past years, the campus in the 3rd district of the city has become one of the most renowned life sciences locations in Austria. A significant factor for its success is the complementary mix of corporate and university based institutes.
- BOKU - University of Natural Resources
- The University of Natural Resources (BOKU) was founded in 1872 as the only university in Austria with a focus on agriculture and forestry. It now covers a wide range of scientific subjects far beyond agricultural issues.
- Campus Vetmeduni Vienna
- This is Austria's only university institution for veterinary education and research.
- TU Vienna
- Vienna University of Technology hosts expertise in bioanalytics and sensor development, biomechanics, biomedical engineering, chemical technologies, electrodynamics, material sciences and software development.
- Campus MedUni Vienna
- The campus, next to the Vienna General Hospital, is a very modern facility that accommodates a number of offices and laboratories. Companies and institutions that conduct research in the field of medicine, biomedicine and medical engineering and research-related services are located here.
- Medical University of Vienna
- University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna
- University of Vienna - Faculty of Life sciences
- University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna - Department of Biotechnology
- University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna - Department of Crop Sciences
- University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna - Department of Food Sciences and Technology
- Max F. Perutz Laboratories
- Institute of Molecular Biotechnology
- Research Institute of Molecular Pathology
- CeMM - Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Gregor Mendel Institute of Molecular Plant Biology
- Children's Cancer Research Institute - St. Anna Children’s Hospital
- Apeiron Biologics
- Bender MedSystems
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Eli Lilly (German)
- Genosense diagnostics
- Thermo Scientific
- Valneva - vormals Intercell
For further information see also the German edition
Economic Affairs, Labour and Statistics (Municipal Department 23)