Limited leave to remain for intra-corporate transferees (ICT)

German Version

Due to the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, you need to make a prior appointment to come to the Immigration Office (MA 35) in person. For more information and to find out how to make an appointment please go to: Specific regulations due to the coronavirus pandemic - information for persons applying for a residence permit

General information

Intra-corporate transferees from third countries can get a residence permit "intra-corporate transferee (ICT)" if they want to stay in Austria for more than six months.

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)


The following groups of persons are eligible to get a residence permit "ICT" if they work for an international employer:

  • Managers
  • Specialists
  • Trainees


Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the valid residence permit.


If you intend to stay in Austria for less than six months, please contact the Austrian diplomatic representation in your country of origin.

If you want to stay in Austria for more than six months, please contact the immigration authority, i.e. Municipal Department 35 (MA 35) in Vienna.

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. payslip, income statement, employment contract)
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband- KSV 1870 Information GmbH)
  • First-time applications:
    • Police clearance certificate ("Auszug aus dem Strafregister") (German) from your country of origin (no more than three months old)
    • Employment contract and - if applicable - a written declaration by the employer confirming the intra-corporate transfer and specifying that - upon completion of the intra-corporate transfer - the employee (third-country national) can return to a branch office that forms part of the company or group of companies and is located in a third country
    • Proof of sufficient time of employment with the company or group of companies pursuant to section 18 a (1) (1) of the Employment of Foreign Nationals Act (Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz, AuslBG)
    • For trainees: trainee contract and proof of university graduation
    • For specialists: proof of necessary professional qualification and experience (graduation from a university or university of applied sciences or other recognised professional training) as well as letter of recommendation and employment certificate
    • For managers: proof of management position in the employment contract
    • If applicable: proof of accreditation for an occupation that is regulated in Austria
    • Extract from the company register (Firmenbuchauszug) proofing that the employer or branch office actually conducts business operations and has not become insolvent

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificate

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: EUR 120
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

  • The intra-corporate transferee must file the application abroad in person.
  • The application CAN also be filed in Austria by the owner of the company’s Austrian branch office.
  • The applicant has to wait abroad for the completion of the application procedure.
  • Family reunification is allowed.
  • This permit is exempt from the immigration quota ("quotenfrei").
  • You do not have to fulfil the Integration Agreement (Integrationsvereinbarung).
  • For managers and specialists the permit is valid in EU member states for a maximum of three years, in case of trainees for one year. After expiration of this maximum duration of stay, the intra-corporate transferee must move to a third country unless they hold any other residence permit valid for third-country nationals in accordance with the Austrian Residence and Settlement Act (Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz, NAG). A new application can only be made after four months, which the applicant must have spent in a third country.
  • If the validity of your passport is shorter than the possible grant period, the residence permit is issued only according to the validity of the passport.
Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form