Limited leave to remain for artists - application

German Version

General information

Third-country nationals staying in Austria for a limited time with no intention of taking up permanent residence ("ohne Niederlassungsabsicht") require a limited leave to remain ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung").

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Datenschutzrechtliche Information (German)


Artists for the purpose of this limited leave to remain are individuals the majority of whose work consists in artistic production. Income from their artistic work must provide sufficient means of subsistence, a declaration of liability by a third party may be presented.

The application distinguishes between employed and self-employed artists. The Public Employment Service Austria (AMS) examines applications for a limited leave to remain as employed artist to find out whether the requirements in accordance with the Employment of Foreign Nationals Act are met. If they are met the limited leave to remain automatically includes the work permit as artist.


Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the leave to remain.


Applications for stays up to six months must be filed at the Austrian diplomatic representations (residence visa (type D) - "Aufenthaltsvisum").

For stays of more than six months: Immigration authority (MA 35):

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: There is a reduced service on Thursday afternoons. Please expect longer waiting times.

Documents required

Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels") in German for each applicant, stating the purpose of stay. You must submit the original documents; however, these will be returned to you and copies will be kept on file. The original documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille, depending on the issuing country, and filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator) (by a certified court translator) of each document. The following documents must always be certified: birth certificate, marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate, police clearance certificate (where applicable, divorce certificate or certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership, death certificate).

Required documents for all applications:

  • Valid passport or other travel document
  • Current biometric passport photo (German)
  • Birth certificate
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate or certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e.g. ownership, lease or sublease)
  • Documentation showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence ("Existenzmittel", "gesicherter Lebensunterhalt"), e.g. payslip, income statement, employment contract, confirmation of pension payments, if applicable a declaration of liability ("Haftungserklärung") accompanied by an income statement and a credit statement of the person vouching for the applicant)
  • Documentation showing any loans and debts (e.g. current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency)
  • For gainfully employed artists: declaration by the employer ("Arbeitgebererklärung") as artist
  • For self-employed artists: The written contract setting out the terms of the work
  • Proof of art training or description of previous artistic work
  • First-time applications:
  • In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You do not have to fulfil the Integration Agreement.


Basic fee: approximately EUR 120
In addition to the basic fee, a fee is charged for each civil status document. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30. You will receive the limited leave to remain after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

Billing and payment (German)
For any questions regarding payment, please contact: Municipal Department 6 - Accounting Department 40 (German).


Further information

Applications including a declaration by the employer must be submitted by the competent Austrian representation abroad. First-time applications can also be submitted by the employer on behalf of the employee in Austria.

Family reunification is allowed.

This document is exempt from the immigration quota ("quotenfrei").

Homepage: Immigration (German)

Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form