Residence permits for third country nationals holding a permit "long-term resident EU" from another EU member state

German Version

Due to the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, you need to make a prior appointment to come to the Immigration Office (MA 35) in person. For more information and to find out how to make an appointment please go to: Specific regulations due to the coronavirus pandemic - information for persons applying for a residence permit

General information

Third country nationals holding a residence permit "long-term resident EU" issued by another EU member state who want to reside in Austria for more than six months can obtain

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)


You must hold a residence permit "long-term resident EU" issued by another EU member state.

The permit is subject to the immigration quota (quotenpflichtig).

First-time applicants must provide evidence of German language skills at A1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). (This does not apply to the Red White Red Card.) The document (proof of language skills) must not be more than one year old at the time of submission.


  • Children up to 14 years of age
  • Persons who cannot reasonably be expected to provide such evidence on grounds of a permanently bad physical or mental health condition (medical report issued by a public health officer ("amtsärztliches Gutachten") or by a doctor appointed by an Austrian consulate ("vertrauensärztliches Gutachten"))


You have to submit your first application in Austria within three months upon your arrival in Austria.

Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the residence permit.


If you plan to stay in Austria for up to six months, please contact the Austrian diplomatic representation in your country of origin.

If you plan to stay in Austria for more than six months, please contact the immigration office (MA 35 in Vienna).

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e.g. lease or rental agreement, proof of ownership)
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. bank deposit, proof of regular payments made to your bank account, payslip, income statements, employment contracts, confirmations of pension payments). Proof of source of funds.
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH) (German)
  • For the indefinite leave to remain - excluding employment (Niederlassungsbewilligung - ausgenommen Erwerbstätigkeit) see here
  • For the Red White Red Card - dependent employment (Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte, unselbstständige Erwerbstätigkeit) see here
  • For the Red-White-Red Card - self-employed key workers (Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte, selbständige Schlüsselkraft): description of the business activity and goals (business plan)
  • First-time application:

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificate

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: EUR 120
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

  • The application must be made in person.
  • Family reunification is allowed.
  • You must fulfil the requirements of the Integration Agreement (Integrationsvereinbarung).
  • residence permit that is valid for three years can be granted at the earliest after two years of residence in Austria and fulfilment of Module I of the Integration Agreement. After five years of permanent residence in Austria and completion of Module II of the Integration Agreement, you can apply for the residence permit "long-term EU resident" for Austria (Aufenthaltstitel "Daueraufenthalt EU").
  • If the validity of your passport is shorter than the possible grant period, the residence permit is issued only according to the validity of the passport.
Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form