Residence permit "Long-term resident - EU"

German Version

Due to the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, you need to make a prior appointment to come to the Immigration Office (MA 35) in person. For more information and to find out how to make an appointment please go to: Specific regulations due to the coronavirus pandemic - information for persons applying for a residence permit

General information

The residence permit "Long-term resident - EU" grants permanent right of residence.

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)


The residence permit "Long-term resident - EU" (Aufenthaltstitel "Daueraufenthalt EU") can be granted to third-country nationals who have resided legally and permanently in Austria for five years or to persons eligible for asylum and persons with subsidiary protection status. For this permit you also have to submit proof that you have completed Module II (B1 CEFR) of the Integration Agreement.


The residence permit "Long-term resident - EU" includes a permanent right of residence. The permit is shaped like a credit card and valid for five years.


If your primary residence (Hauptwohnsitz) is in Vienna, the Immigration Department (MA 35) is your contact for this residence permit.

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted.
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e. g. lease or rental agreement, proof of ownership)
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. payslip, income statements, employment contracts, confirmations of pension payments)
  • For self-employed persons:
    • Business licence (Gewerberechtliche Bewilligung)
    • Confirmation from your chartered accountant(s) ("SteuerberaterIn") on the salary for managing directors ("Geschäftsführergehalt") or withdrawal from the company accounts ("Entnahmen")
    • Income tax statement ("Einkommenssteuerbescheid") if available
    • Operating statement (confirmed by chartered accountant(s)) if available
    • Statement of revenues and expenditures (confirmed by chartered accountant(s))
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH) (German)
  • Proof of completion of Module II (B1 CEFR) of the Integration Agreement

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificate

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • EUR 195 for persons younger than 6 years
  • EUR 210 for persons of 6 years or older
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

Please note the information concerning a possible additional payment of application fee for applications after 1 January 2020.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

Contact for this page:
City of Vienna | Public Relations
Contact form