Residence permit "Red White Red Card" for key employees

German Version

General information

Persons who plan to take up permanent residence in Austria for the long term (not just temporarily) can obtain a residence permit or indefinite leave to remain.

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)


The residence permit "Red White Red Card" (Aufenthaltstitel "Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte") can be obtained by

  • Very highly qualified employees
  • Skilled workers in shortage occupations
  • Other key employees and graduates of Austrian universities


Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the residence permit.


Municipal Department 35 – Immigration and Citizenship (MA 35)

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted.
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e. g. lease or rental agreement, proof of ownership)
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. payslip, income statements, employment contracts)
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH) (German)
  • Declaration by the employer (Arbeitgebererklärung) pursuant to the Employment of Foreign Nationals Act (Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz)
  • First-time application:
  • Depending on the type of Red White Red Card (very highly qualified employees, skilled workers in shortage occupations, or other key employees and graduates of Austrian universities) additional documents must be submitted (Federal Law Gazette II No 231/2011) (German).

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificate

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: EUR 120
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

  • The application can also be made by the employer.
  • This permit is exempt from the immigration quota ("quotenfrei")
  • Family reunification (residence permit "Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte plus") is allowed.
  • Holders of a Red-White-Red Card ("Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte") fulfil Module I (A2 CEFR) of the Integration Agreement ex lege (by act of law).
  • In the Law on Residence and Settlement in Austria (Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz, NAG) this permit is called "Aufenthaltstitel "Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte" with the addition "dependent employment at NAME OF COMPANY" ("unselbständige Erwerbstätigkeit bei FIRMENNAME").
  • "Red White Red Card plus" ("Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte plus") can be issued at the earliest after two years of permanent residence and further occupation as key employee. A residence permit that is valid for three years can be granted after two years of residence in Austria. After five years of permanent residence in Austria and completion of Module II (B1 CEFR) of the Integration Agreement, you can apply for the residence permit "Long-term EU resident" (Aufenthaltstitel "Daueraufenthalt EU").
  • If the validity of your passport is shorter than the possible grant period, the indefinite leave to remain is issued only according to the validity of the passport.
Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form