Residence permit for family members

German Version

Due to the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, you need to make a prior appointment to come to the Immigration Office (MA 35) in person. For more information and to find out how to make an appointment please go to: Specific regulations due to the coronavirus pandemic - information for persons applying for a residence permit

General information

Spouses, same-sex civil partners, and minor children of Austrian citizens can apply for a residence permit for family members (Aufenthaltstitel "Familienangehöriger"). This permit includes free access to the labour market.

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)


Spouses or civil partners as well as the Austrian sponsor ("zusammenführender Österreicher") must be at least 21 years of age when the first application is filed. Children must be unmarried and below the age of 18.

First-time applicants must provide evidence of German language skills at A1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This document must not be more than one year old at the time of submission.


  • Children up to 14 years of age
  • Persons who cannot reasonably be expected to provide such evidence on grounds of a permanently bad physical or mental health condition (medical report issued by a public health officer ("amtsärztliches Gutachten") or by a doctor appointed by an Austrian consulate ("vertrauensärztliches Gutachten"))


Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the residence permit.


Immigration authority (MA 35)

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted.
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
    • Death certificate
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e. g. lease or rental agreement, proof of ownership)
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. payslip, income statement, employment contract, confirmation of pension payments)
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH) (German)
  • Proof of Austrian citizenship of the person who the applicant wants to live with
  • First-time application:

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificat

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: EUR 120
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

  • The application must be made in person.
  • The first-time permit is exempt from the immigration quota ("quotenfrei").
  • The Integration Agreement must be fulfilled.
  • A residence permit that is valid for three years can be granted at the earliest after two years of residence in Austria and fulfilment of Module I of the Integration Agreement. After five years of permanent residence in Austria and completion of Module II of the Integration Agreement, you can apply for the residence permit "Long-term EU resident" (Aufenthaltstitel "Daueraufenthalt EU").
  • If the validity of your passport is shorter than the possible grant period, the residence permit is issued only according to the validity of the passport.
Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form