Indefinite leave to remain for special cases of dependent employment

German Version

General information

Third-country nationals can obtain an indefinite leave to remain for special cases of dependent employment (Niederlassungsbewilligung "Sonderfälle unselbständige Erwerbstätigkeit") if they want to stay in Austria for more than six months.

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)


The intended employment must be exempt from the Employment of Foreign Nationals Act (Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz). This applies, for example, to the following groups of persons:

  • Employees of educational institutions whose work is based on bilateral cultural agreements
  • Diplomatic staff
  • Pastors of a recognised church or religious community
  • Specific executives, their spouses, children, and foreign household staff
  • Reporters for international media
  • Scientific staff
  • Employees of the European Centre
  • Teachers at specific international schools in Austria
  • Technical employees in the framework of bilateral air transport agreements
  • Teachers and researchers at Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschulen)
  • Military experts working for the Austrian Federal Ministry of Defence
  • Persons pursuing a scientific or teaching activity or studies at the Vienna School of International Studies (Diplomatische Akademie) or at the Sicherheitsakademie
  • Staff of specific international organisations

First-time applicants must provide evidence of German language skills at A1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This document must not be more than one year old at the time of submission.


  • Children up to 14 years of age
  • Persons who cannot reasonably be expected to provide such evidence on grounds of a permanently bad physical or mental health condition (medical report issued by a public health officer ("amtsärztliches Gutachten") or by a doctor appointed by an Austrian consulate ("vertrauensärztliches Gutachten"))


Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the residence permit.


If you plan to stay in Austria for up to six months, please contact the Austrian diplomatic representation in your country of origin.

If you plan to stay in Austria for more than six months, please contact the immigration office (MA 35 in Vienna).

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Niederlassungsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted.
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e. g. proof of ownership, lease or rental agreement)
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH) (German)
  • Employment contract
  • Proof of special requirements for this specialist employment (e. g. accreditation for employees of foreign media
  • First-time application:

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificate

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: EUR 120
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

  • The application must be made in person.
  • Family reunification is allowed.
  • You have to fulfil the Integration Agreement must be fulfilled.
  • Persons holding an indefinite leave to remain "excluding employment" (Niederlassungsbewilligung "Ausgenommen Erwerbstätigkeit") are not allowed to take up employment.
  • A residence permit that is valid for three years can be granted at the earliest after two years of residence in Austria and fulfilment of Module I of the Integration Agreement. After five years of permanent residence in Austria and completion of Module II of the Integration Agreement, you can apply for the residence permit "Long-term EU resident" (Aufenthaltstitel "Daueraufenthalt EU").
  • If the validity of your passport is shorter than the possible grant period, the residence permit is issued only according to the validity of the passport.
Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form