Residence permit "EU Blue Card"

German Version

Due to the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, you need to make a prior appointment to come to the Immigration Office (MA 35) in person. For more information and to find out how to make an appointment please go to: Specific regulations due to the coronavirus pandemic - information for persons applying for a residence permit

General information

The "EU Blue Card" ("Blaue Karte EU") is a residence permit for highly skilled university graduates.

Data protection

For information on data protection and your data protection rights as an individual please visit: Data Protection Notice (German)




Applications for an extension must be filed before expiration of the residence permit.


Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8 am to 12 noon, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 8 am to 11 am. Closed on public holidays.
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Thursday from 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Good Friday, 24 and 31 December from 7.30 am to 12 noon. Closed on public holidays.
Please note: Please expect longer waiting times on Thursdays.

Documents required

  • Application for a residence permit ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung") in German
  • Valid travel document (e. g. passport)
  • Current biometric passport photo: the photo can be no more than six months old when the residence permit is granted.
  • Birth certificate or other equivalent document
  • If applicable:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Civil partnership certificate
    • Divorce certificate
    • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
    • Adoption certificate
    • Documents proving family relationships
  • Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e. g. lease or rental agreement, proof of ownership)
  • Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks: overview of possible health insurances: 114 KB PDF
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. payslip, income statements, employment contracts, confirmations of pension payments)
  • Current extract from the files of an officially recognised credit reference agency (e. g. Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH) (German)
  • First-time application:
  • Proof of graduation from a tertiary education institution (minimum study duration of three years)
  • Proof of the status of the university or other tertiary education institution
  • Declaration by the employer (Arbeitgebererklärung) pursuant to the Employment of Foreign Nationals Act (Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz)

In some cases, additional documents may be required.

You must submit the original documents and copies.

The following documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or apostille:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Death certificate
  • Police clearance certificate

Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a certified translation (by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: EUR 120
  • Further costs arise for civil status documents issued abroad. Depending on the type of document, this fee may be EUR 3.90, EUR 7.20 or EUR 14.30.

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or cash card (German).

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the competent accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40) (German) of Municipal Department 6.


Further information

  • The application can also be made by the employer.
  • The first-time permit is exempt from the immigration quota ("quotenfrei").
  • Family reunification (with "Rot-Weiß-Rot - Karte plus") is allowed.
  • In the Law on Residence and Settlement in Austria (Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz, NAG) this permit is called "EU Blue Card" ("Blaue Karte EU") with the addition "dependent employment at NAME OF COMPANY" ("unselbständige Erwerbstätigkeit bei FIRMENNAME").
  • Holders of an EU Blue Card ("Blaue Karte EU") fulfil module I of the Integration Agreement ex lege (by act of law).
  • The immigration authority asks the Public Employment Service (AMS) for a statement (Mitteilung), which is a prerequisite before the residence permit can be granted.
  • Third-country nationals with five years of permanent residence in Austria can apply for a residence permit "Long-term resident - EU" (Aufenthaltstitel "Daueraufenthalt EU") if they have completed Module II of the Integration Agreement and have a regular income.
  • You can apply for the residence permit "Red-White-Red Card plus" (Aufenthaltstitel "Rot-Weiß-Rot-Karte plus") no earlier than 24 months after taking up residence in Austria and 21 months of gainful employment as highly skilled key employee. After two years of residence, the immigration authority can grant a residence permit that is valid for three years.
  • If the validity of your passport is shorter than the possible grant period, the residence permit is issued only according to the validity of the passport.
Contact for this page:
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)
Contact form