Applying for Austrian Citizenship from abroad
If you want to apply for Austrian citizenship and currently reside abroad you must meet the following conditions along with general naturalisation requirements:
- you are married to an Austrian citizen and thereby have a legal claim or
- you are rendering exceptional services in the interest of the Republic or
- you lost Austrian citizenship as a minor or
- you are a minor and the (adopted) parent relevant to your application has Austrian citizenship or
- you used to be an Austrian citizen and are now divorced or widowed or
- you used to be a citizen of one of the successor states of the former Austro-Hungarian monarchy or you are a stateless person.
Regaining Austrian Citizenship by Declaration
Former Austrians who were forced to leave Austria for racist or political reasons before 9 May 1945 may regain Austrian citizenship by declaration.
Public Relations (Municipal Department 35)